- Our Community
- History of Fairview
History of Fairview
The City of Fairview was incorporated in 1908, and has historically been a farming and residential community. One of the state's largest berry producers, Townsend Farms, is a third generation family-owned business and is one of Fairview's largest businesses.
Fairview Creek is one of the city's finer natural features flowing from the southern edge of the city to Fairview Lake. Blue Lake lies between Fairview Lake and the Columbia River. With a harmonious balance of natural features and vacant developable land, the city of Fairview is one of the more desirable locations in East Multnomah County.
Recreational opportunities are abundant in the city. Blue Lake Park is operated by Metro. Chinook Landing Boat Launch on the Columbia River was opened in 1991, and has become part of the Metro park system. Both areas attract a great deal of visitors annually.
One of the more interesting historical landmarks is Fairview's original two-cell jail built in 1915, located in Nachakokee Park (the Nachakokee Indian tribe was located in the Fairview area). A former Indian village on the west end of Blue Lake Park has become an archaeological study area.
The historic Heslin family house was built in circa 1890. It is an example of Western Farmhouse architecture and is the location of the Heslin House Museum. The City of Fairview has completed a survey of 127 historical sites, which includes Smith Memorial Church, built over 100 years ago.